All March Quilt Day Activities CANCELLED Due to Corona Virus – President’s Message
by Susan Schwandt March 12, 2020
Since my last President’s message about our March Quilt Day meeting, the GAAQG board and our partners at Washtenaw Community College have been closely monitoring the rapidly evolving news updates and community public health recommendations regarding the COVID-19 virus.
GAAQG and Washtenaw Community College are following the latest Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Interim Recommendations and CANCELLING the Saturday, March 21 March Quilt Day meeting.
National and state government guidelines recommend cancelling large events (100+ people) as an important community health strategy to prevent a sudden, sharp increase in the number of people infected with COVID-19.
We’re also cancelling our Safe House Sewing event and the Friday and Sunday workshops to protect the health of our members and guests, particularly given the increased health risks facing those over age 70, and those with underlying health conditions.
If you’ve registered for Ann Shaw’s Friday or Sunday workshops, you’ll be issued a full refund by the guild. Our VP Programs, Brenda Rigdon, will contact Ann and try to reschedule her visit to our guild in 2021.
Since we’ve cancelled the March Quilt Day meeting, here are a few important things for you to know:
2020 GAAQG Board Officers
At the November 2019 Quilt Day meeting, members present voted for the 2020 slate of officers as a confirmation of the slate. This confirmation vote allowed our officers to take office on January 1 prior to the January Quilt Day business meeting election. We had to postpone our annual business meeting election in January due to inclement weather and our March meeting due to the corona virus. For these extraordinary circumstances, I am requesting that the membership accept the confirmatory vote in November as the 2020 election of officers so that our current slate can continue to work as duly elected officers.
Fabric Sale: Roberta Myyra is still collecting fabric donations for our May GAAQG Fabric Sale. Please contact Roberta to arrange for a pickup of your donated fabrics.
GAAQG 2020 Quilt Show (July 25-26):
- The Quilt Show webpages will be published on the member portal on March 12. From the links, members can enter two quilts in the show.
- The show is nonjuried, so members can be guaranteed that their quilts will be displayed.
- Sign up for volunteer positions! Everyone needs to volunteer for a two-hour shift for each quilt entered in the show.
- Bring your donated items for the Bid or Buy Bazaar (formerly called the Silent Auction) to the May Quilt Day meeting or contact Gayle Kush or June Guthrie to make alternative delivery arrangements.
- Use this link to access the Public Quilt Show Page
I’ll miss seeing you all again at the March meeting! Meanwhile, keep practicing preventive health habits and take good care of yourselves. Quilting is an important part of your self-care routine. I doubt that this has been scientifically proven—but why take the risk?
For the latest COVID-19 news, visit:
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) Interim Recommendations for COVID-19 Community Mitigation Strategies https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0,9753,7-406-98178_98155-521467–,00.html
- Washtenaw County Health Department: https://www.washtenaw.org/3095/COVID-19
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
Thank you all for your hard work on behalf of our guild and SafeHouse. I know it’s disappointing to have to cancel our meeting, but safety first!
Stay healthy and I’ll see you at the May 16 Quilt Day meeting!
Categorized in: blog