Announcing GAAQG Quilt-Along
by Nico Laudenberg
Jan 15, 2021
Welcome to our quilt-along homebase! You will find all you need here.
Join our email list and never miss the news, the weekly task and maybe some special goodies just for the email recipients:
Click here to receive this wonderful newsletter.
We are doing a quilt-along! And note: this is not only for members, but for everyone who wants to join us – you are welcome!!!
So, what’s a quilt-along to begin with? Well, we’ll sew this wonderful quilt together! Virtually but really!
First thing: You’ll need to purchase the pattern for Aviatrix, made by Elizabeth Hartman. It’s available in various shops on Etsy or directly at Elizabeth Hartman’s webshop where you can download your pattern as a pdf, print it at home and are good to go without even leaving home. Or plan a safe trip to the Ann Arbor Sewing Center. Don’t forget to brag about being a GAAQG-member, it’ll bring you 10 percent off!
We chose this pattern for our first quilt-along together, because:
- It is fun and beautiful (well, that was too obvious)
- It’s way easier than you think. Repeating one block over and over to complete the different borders will give you confidence. And you’ll speed up after the first couple of blocks.
- It’s scrap- and fat-quarter-friendly. Use what you have. Or go fabric shopping, we won’t stop you :o)
- It’s big enough to tear a noticeable dent in your stash, which brings us to: go fabric shopping
- It’s also improv-friendly. Don’t love being overly on point? Skip them and make it your way!
- It’s versatile: Too big for you? Skip some rows and make a baby-quilt. You want a double-king? Add some rows. Make it your own!
Next: Just sign in to receive all news in your inbox:
And then: Just follow along!
We broke down the process of sewing our quilt into 12 do-able tasks, one for each week.
Here is the schedule:
- Week: February 14 (Valentine’s Day) – Start with choosing your fabrics
- Week: February 21 – Make your templates and cut
- Week: February 28 – Center block
- Week: March 7 – First border (half-square triangles)
- Week: March 14 – Second border (rail fence)
- Week: March 21 – Third border (crosses)
- Week: March 28 – Fourth border (checkerboard-line)
- Week: April 4 – Fifth border (squares in squares)
- Week: April 11 – Sixth border (butterflies)
- Week: April 18 – Assembly
- Week: April 25 – Quilting
- Week: May 2 – Finishing tips and wrap-up
So, what’s that all about? How do we do this together?
A quilt-along is a very laid back, community building activity. Kick-off is on Valentine’s Day and we will be finished before it gets too hot for quilting. You’ll get tips and tricks and more in our weekly updates, so you will never feel alone.
Not at all: Quilt-alongs are around for quite some time, so they were already entirely online before we all started to become Zoom-pros. The main socializing happens on Instagram: we connect, share information, help each other – and of course: show and tell our progress. How? Hashtag is the key. You can search and follow #gaaqgqal and you will find all others (who use this hashtag), like magic. What does that pile of letters means? It’s Greater Ann Arbor Quilt Guild Quilt ALong. I know, right?! See link for current tags https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/gaaqgqal/
We will also have a Facebook group just for us quilt-alongers here. Same thing: connect, chat, share! Use both platforms, only one, as you like it.
If you sign up, you will receive our weekly email – with prompts on what to do next, some tips and tricks.
Don’t do Instagram? If you can open and read this blog, Instagram is no challenge for you. You’ll need to download the free Instagram app via App Store or your favorite Android app-shop. Click ‚install‘ and there you go! Choose a username, add a cute picture of yourself and some infos to your profile, look up your friends and start posting your own pictures. If you are already on Facebook, you’ll find this very easy. If not, you’ll find it easy, too.
And fear not, we will provide more detailed information on this in our email we will send you if you choose to sign up (what we really hope you will do, because: why not have some fun?) Before you know it, you’ll be an hashtag-expert, we promise!
Find here a great video tutorial to get started with Instagram. (And enjoy her cute accent).
Stay tuned, you’ll hear from us!
Your Quilt-Along Team – Nancy Frye, Gena Loyd & Nico Laudenberg
Categorized in: blog