From embellishment with paint and ink to creating compositions for art quilts, Deborah Boschert will cover it all at QU – July 29 and 30
By Kathy Schmidt, Quirks Ltd.
May 30, 2017
QU 2017 has a superb slate of teachers coming this summer. I’m looking forward to meeting as many of them as possible, but I’m curious about them NOW!
Here are the things I wondered about:
What do you most wish for people to know about your work?
Each art quilt is a mysterious combination of head, heart and hands. I think about what I want to say with my work, what I love about color and shape and what techniques I can use to bring it to life.
What is your favorite part of the creative process?
My favorite part is when everything is just clicking, I’m in the flow state and I can clearly see the path in front of me. Sometimes that happens at the beginning of a project, sometimes in the middle, sometimes not until the end. It’s somewhat unpredictable, but I grab onto the moment whenever it arises.
Was there anyone who was a big influence in your career?
Melody Johnson enlightened me about fused applique! Workshops I took with her influence everything I do now. My small art quilt group in Maine, the Twisted Stitchers, are long-time dedicated supporters, mentors, and friends. They’ve influenced my career in very personal ways. My experience working with Twelve by Twelve: The International Art Quilt Challenge was also pivotal in helping me develop my own personal creative voice.
Our members always want to know where their teachers are coming from/live, if they have been to Ann Arbor before and if they have any connections in the area. Do you have anything you’d like to share about your home or travels?
I live in Dallas, TX, but I’ve lived in ten states. My husband was a Navy pilot and we moved around a lot. We’ve traveled a bunch too! But, there are four states I still have not visited: Alaska, Nevada, Wisconsin and Michigan!!! I’m excited to check Michigan off my list.
This is the interesting way Deborah introduces herself.
- I’m an artist. (Self-taught. Always experimenting and learning.)
- My art quilts and fiber collages have been published in books and magazines and exhibited all over the world.
- I believe everyone has a creative spirit and I love helping others explore that spirit.
- Sometimes I make a big mess when I’m creating. Sometimes it takes days to clean up.
- My favorite color combination is green and purple.
- I’ve lived in Minnesota, Kansas, Nebraska, Illinois, Florida, Mississippi, California, Maine, Texas and Maryland.
- My artwork incorporates personal symbols like houses, leaves, stones, bowls, ladders and handwriting.
- I love crossword puzzles and cracking codes.
- I don’t cut paper with my fabric scissors. (Usually.)
- If I want two things stuck together, I prefer to sew a seam. I’m not so good with the glue.
- My middle name is Hope.
- I don’t like watermelon or mac and cheese.
- I love coffee, brownies, ice cream and tacos!
- I often add hand embroidery to my art quilts while sitting in my grandmother’s old rocking chair.
- I’m a list maker, but not necessarily a list follower.
- I have a wonderfully fun and supportive family. My husband Jeff and I met when we were teenagers. We love sharing adventures with our kids, Claire and Benjamin.
- It’s always a privilege to share my artwork and ideas about creating art. I teach workshops online, in videos, through webinars — and even in real life!
- When I’m making art, my heart beats faster and I feel joyful.
The best way to stay in touch with me and see what I’m up to is to sign up for my newsletter and follow me on social media. Here are some links you may want to share with your members.
Find Deborah Here!
Newsletter Sign Up: http://eepurl.com/jU1n9
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/DeborahBoschertArtist/
Look at the fun and exciting classes that she will be teaching! Click here for more information and to register. Can’t wait for QU 2017!
Categorized in: blog