FULL Dana E. Jones - Demystifying Design for Foundation Paper Piecing
Extreme angles, sharp points, precision piecing, easy patch
Extreme angles, sharp points, precision piecing, easy patch cutting, one-of-a-kind images and more are all possible with foundation paper piecing. In this design class, you’ll learn how to create foundations for everything from traditional blocks to pictorial quilts. We’ll start with foundation design for simple blocks — log cabin and flying geese — to more complex blocks — butterflies, flowers, animals and more. In the process, you’ll discover when paper piecing is the best piecing process for you, and you’ll design a block.
In the second half of the class, you’ll design a small pictorial quilt working from a photo or drawing you bring to class. Skills taught in the class will include:
- Determining the number of foundations needed.
- Numbering foundations for piecing order.
- Labeling foundations and marking them for joining to other foundations.
- Making templates for cutting patches for on-grain piecing and efficient use of fabric. This is a technique class but you will take home foundation designs for your block and pictorial designs that you can piece at home.
Best for intermediate to advanced quilters ready to take the next step to creating original designs.
The class runs from 9:30 AM-4:00 PM Eastern Time with a 1/2 hour break for lunch. This workshop will be held via Zoom.
REGISTRATION FOR THIS WORKSHOP IS CLOSED. If you would like to be put on the waiting list, please email email@example.com and provide your full name and contact information. Thank you!
A $15 kit is required and is available for purchase separately from the Guild’s website. The deadline to purchase the kit is April 28 and includes handouts and some specialized supplies that are not easily available otherwise:
- vellum grid paper
- template plastic
- vellum tracing paper
- a marker that writes well on template plastic and is only available from a UK supplier
- an eraser
- a mechanical pencil
- a miracle sponge for erasing marker from template plastic
- a 1″ x 12″ gridded plastic ruler
(Friday) 9:00 am - 4:00 pm EDT
4800 E Huron River Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48105